Thursday, March 13, 2008

Overview of Data Sources

I just wanted to take a moment and list the various types of data that I've collected, basically so that I can organize and assess what to focus in on.

1. Correct Word per Minute Scores
  • I've got 2 test results. One was done at the beginning of the semester - January, and the 2nd was done at the end of the TIP - Early March. What do I expect to see? Probably not much. The point of taking the tests was to see if student reading fluency, in this case, automaticity, improved over the period that they focused on making their podcasts. I think that there will not be a significant improvement because, A - the time period was too short = 9 weeks. B - the 2nd reading segment was a different one, and was slightly harder in my opinion. I think this kind of sacks the validity of this as an indicator of whether they improved. I mean, technically, the passage was a form intended for their age group, but, who's to say it was equal in difficulty? Does this matter? Oh well, it is what it is, and I'll try to make some observations from the results.
  • they also were assessed on 4 areas of fluency. I basically gave a quick response, based on a rubric after each student finished their test. Very subjective data. I'm not sure how useful that will be.

2. Student reaction servey results

  • I focused the questions on their feelings about reading aloud, having their podcasts made public and the affect on motivation, their feelings about pcasting, and whether they felt that their oral reading improved in their opinion. Now, I realize that this is also very subjective, imperfect data. I think I'll be able to make some reasonable conclusions based on what I've found.

3. The Podcasts Themselves

  • I just realized that the podcasts themselves are data and can provide insight into whether their oral reading improved. Wonder why that never hit me before? duh!

Conclusions? I need to sit down and analyse the data this week.

No comments: